The Rainbow Flag Award
We're proud to support schools in County Durham, Tees Valley, Tyne and Wear, and Northumberland to create more inclusive learning environments through the Rainbow Flag Award.
We're here to help
What is the Rainbow Flag Award?
The Rainbow Flag Award is a national quality assurance framework for primary schools, secondary schools, SEND schools and alternative provisions. The award focuses on positive LGBT+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, plus other related identities) inclusion and visibility.
The Rainbow Flag Award encourages a whole organisation approach to LGBT+ inclusion, as well as developing strategies to effectively challenge and combat LGBTphobic bullying.
Committing your school to the Rainbow Flag Award is a commitment to improve the lives of all the young people that you work with, including those that are LGBT+, those from LGBT+ families, and LGBT+ staff members.
How does it work?
Through a year-long process of self-assessment and ongoing monitoring and feedback, schools have access to a variety of training, resources and interventions, helping them meet set standards in each of the following areas:
- Skilled Teacher
- Inclusive Curriculum
- Supportive Governors and Parents
- Effective Policies
- Pastoral Support
- Student Voice
What does it cost and what is the commitment?
- Primary and other small schools: £795 +VAT
- Secondary schools: £995 +VAT
- Independent schools: £1295 +VAT
The above prices are for a one-year membership during which you will be supported to complete the award. You will then hold the award for an additional two years (at no extra cost) before being invited to renew it.
- Two places (one for a member of your Senior Leadership Team) on starter training.
- Access to the Members’ Area of the Rainbow Flag Award website where you can access your Rainbow Flag Award Handbook, a guide to ‘Developing Effective LGBT+ Inclusive Policies’, plus other starter resources.
- Access to evidence reviews during the year, where you will receive detailed and constructive feedback on evidence you submit for each of the six Rainbow Flag Award sections.
- Access to ‘The Rainbow Flag Award Classroom’ – LGBT+ inclusive lessons in all curriculum areas for key stages 1 to 4.
- Ongoing advice and support via telephone and/or email during the year.
- 20% off the cost of any additional training, from Humankind’s LGBT+ North East team.
- 20% off the cost of resources produced by our Rainbow Flag Award partner organisations.
What are the benefits?
Schools that take part in the Rainbow Flag Award will be supported to meet:
- Legal requirements to ensure positive LGBT+ inclusion in schools, and to be effective in tackling LGBTphobic bullying.
- The Ofsted requirement to be teaching positively about LGBT+ lives.
- Requirements of the Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) curriculum in secondary schools, and Relationships Education in primary schools.
- Moral requirements to meet the needs of all students, including those that are LGBT+.
For more information about participating in The Rainbow Flag Award, please email email@example.com or call us on 01325 731160.
You can download our Rainbow Flag Award flyer for more information.
While the Rainbow Flag Award is a national framework, delivery is by LGBT+ organisations working with LGBT+ communities in your local area. Humankind has a 14+ year history of working with LGBT+ young people in County Durham, Tyne and Wear and beyond.
This means that the content of any training will be up to date and relevant, with the needs and experiences of LGBT+ young people from across the North East of England at the heart of delivery.
Any monies generated from this scheme will help fund our vital work with LGBT+ young people locally.
Not in the North East? No problem! We can still help you locate your nearest Rainbow Flag Award delivery organisation.